Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A healthy alternative.

It seems as though I'm starting off this week preaching, "healthy alternatives" so maybe it will help you prepare for the holidays!!


As I mentioned yesterday, I consume about 80-90% of my meals raw. Some days are higher than others. I frequent our local food coop like snow plows frequent the streets of this frozen tundra (Wisconsin). Sadly, it's probably one of my favorite things to do. I'm often there around lunch time(funny how that happens), and can't pass on one of my favorite sandwiches. I'm telling you this, so you can see that there are plenty of healthy choices out there when you can't maintain a 100% raw diet, or just don't want too. It's a vegetable sandwich with a sun dried tomato dressing. It has roasted red bell peppers, tomato, mixed greens, alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, and red onion. This particular sandwich can be made on gluten free bread, which I think is a healthier option. It is so delicious! Shockingly enough, my son actually eats several bites every time I get it. I don't think most 2-year olds like alfalfa sprouts and onions, but he doesn't seem to mind. He tends to want things that my husband and I are eating, which is great if he's not wanting my husband occasional pop! "pop,pop,pop." Almost makes me cringe thinking about it!

So, this is even something that can be made at home with any veggies you have in the frig. Don't get down on yourself if you aren't perfect when trying to eat raw. Just make smart choices, and if you slip up, get back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment