Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Spicy Red Pepper Soup

SPICY RED PEPPER SOUP




1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 roma tomato, peeled and chopped
    1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
    1 to 2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves only
    juice of 1/2 lime
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 avocado

1) Place all ingredients except for avocado in a food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings to liking.  Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.  When you are ready to serve, add 1/2 chopped avocado and blend until smooth.  The avocado adds a creaminess to the soup.

I just made this soup tonight because I was in the mood for something quick, easy, and raw. I actually substituted almond milk for the water to make it even more creamy. I did not add the cumin because I have a bit of a love hate relationship with cumin. Also, don't add the whole 1 tsp of salt. I think it was too much. You can always add to taste after you've blended everything. It's spicy and super delish! I LOVE spicy so it wasn't too spicy for me, but I can just imagine my mother saying, "This is hot!".  So, if you're sensitive to spicy flavors, add less jalapeno.  I also did not use a sweet onion, which spiced it up a bit!  Anyway, I highly recommend this soup!!

Did I happen to mention what my husband was doing while I made this soup? Making these:


    
these huge, nasty, disgusting, fattening, non-nutritious brownies. I'm not going to lie....I ate one. Yep, it was delicious:) He can't go a night without something sweet so now maybe you understand why he won't try anything that I make!

No comments:

Post a Comment