Thursday, May 5, 2011

Organizing

I happen to be a very organized person, but not always in the kitchen. Since I have been buying more staples for my raw foods, I have lost control of organization. My cupboards tend to get a bit messy because I seem to pile things on top of each other. The canned goods are all nice and neat, but chips, nuts, and baking goods get very little attention. My frig is another story. I can't stand a messy refrigerator. Since I buy lots of groceries at once, and they fill all empty spaces, I have to clean it often, or I go crazy.  I would do it one a week if I didn't have a little 17 month old thief that runs away with things! Ok, back to the cupboards. I decided one day last week that I would go through the messiest cupboard and clean and organize it. Cleaning cupboards goes along with spring cleaning! I  ended up going to Bed Bath and Beyond and buying Good Grips canisters for all of the chips, nuts, and baking goods. Let me just tell you that I love them! They make the cupboard look so amazing and they are BPA free! There are many sizes to choose from and they stack on top of one another. There are of course a multitude of options for storage containers. 

BEFORE
It's embarrassing to think that my cupboard looked this bad:)
 AFTER
Much improved if you ask me! I can actually find what I'm looking for without digging!

All of the nuts, seeds, raisins, and goji berries are perfect for these canisters. It's a match made it heaven! My next task will be to label the canisters, mostly for my husband. Not that my husband would use half of these things, but I doubt he would know what hemp seeds or pine nuts look like:)

Baking goods and the hubby's chips!



The other thing that I did back in January was to throw away all of our old plastic food containers, with the exception of a couple of pieces. We stored our left overs in them, and even though we never heated things in them, I didn't even want them in our cupboards. We have been using Pyrex glass storage containers for years, but I did have to go out and stock up on a few extra bowls. I just like knowing that there is no chance that chemicals from the plastic can leach off onto our food. 


No comments:

Post a Comment