Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Raw Kale Chips.

Let me just start out by admitting that I have tried kale chips in the oven and they did NOT taste good at all. I hear people talking about how amazing they are, and I have yet to experience that. I'm hoping the dehydrator will do the trick this time. I found this recipe at The Sunny Raw Kitchen, and she has some other really great recipes that I've tried. This particular recipe, she also borrowed from another site, Raw Food Talk. I knew this one would be especially good because I love apple cider vinegar (I think I could drink it) and also lemon! Mmmmmm:) Kale is not one of my favorite raw greens, but I think these might change my mind! They are in the dehydrator as I type, making my kitchen smell pretty tasty, so I will post and update on them later!

Chrissy's Goddess Chips
Posted by Chrissy on Raw Food Talk

2 bunches kale, broken into large pieces by hand (preferably dino kale)

Dressing:
¾ cups sesame tahini
¼ cup nama shoyu
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup water ~ more if needed
2 scallion
1 clove garlic
1 lemon, juiced
¼ t. sea salt
¼ cup fresh parsley

Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. You may have to add more water. Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want this mixture to be really glued onto the kale.

Place kale onto a Teflex sheet, on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and dehydrate for 4 hours @ 110 degrees. You'll need to use two trays. Rotate kale occasionally to dry uniformly.

I did not put any water in my recipe. I can't imagine the dressing sticking to the kale if I had added the water. You could always add the water at the end to see how much you will need. I also didn't have nama shoyu on hand so I just used my tamari. It can't make that big of a difference:)





After I washed the kale, I placed them on paper towels and dried them so the dressing would stick. 

I made sure to mix mine extra good so all of the kale was completely coated. 

Ready to dehydrate!

In 4 hours I'll be eating some delicious kale chips, I hope!
I will be feeding them to Gabe to see how he likes them. That's always a good test of deliciousness! I don't know if that's a word, but it sounded good!

2 comments:

  1. If I don't have a dehydrator, what's another way to make these chips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could certainly use an oven, but then you destroy the enzymes and defeat the purpose of being raw. A dehydrator is the only option that I'm aware of to keep them raw. Most ovens don't go low enough to keep the chips raw. Under 118 degrees for sure and even lower if you have the time. After making these so much, I set my dehydrator to 95 now. They are easier to burn in an oven too, I've done it:)

    ReplyDelete