Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Raised Bed Gardening.

Ever wonder how to grow your own veggies in town without making a mess of your yard? Raised bed gardening!

We are currently living in town, which makes it a little difficult to enjoy some of the perks that I grew up with. My Dad always, and still does, have a huge garden. His garden is as big as our backyard! I did a CSA share last year, which was wonderful, but difficult to pick up on the other side of town every Wednesday night. I really wanted to have my own little garden this year, especially since I'm preparing more raw meals.  I did some research on raised bed gardens. I also did some "selling" to my husband (he knows all about the business of sales so I had to "sell" hard) on what a great idea it was to have our own little "nice and neat garden." My hubby doesn't like clutter! I found these plans that I liked best! 

Home Depot, here we come! I picked non-treated wood of course. 

My husband needed a little help loading the boards:)

And I was feeling kinda weak so I needed pushing help!

I made sure not to get galvanized screws. I didn't want any chance of having chemicals in our garden. Crazy me!

Our back yard before the garden.

He measured and marked all of the boards for daddy! Note the color of our deck in this picture. We painted the garden to match it.



Almost together.

We painted ours to match our deck and trim. It will just help preserve the wood longer.  We actually ended up getting a stain with primer in it. It goes on like paint.

My dad brought his post hole digger since we don't have one. No one knew how to dig holes as good as Gabe:)

"good job daddy, keep working hard!"

Yay, now we just need some dirt. The dirt was our largest expense because I was adamant on getting organic soil. Our bed is 4 feet wide by 8 feet long and 1foot deep. We used 15 bags, plus my dad brought us some good horse "compost".  AKA: manure!

Mixing the dirt.



Almost finished.

Just a few finishing touches.


Voila!

It's too early to plant most things, so we just did butter crunch lettuce, onions, and carrots. 

I had to have my dad help with the planting!

I labeled my rows and keep a key inside so I remember where everything is planted. 

Completely finished with the bird netting added. We have lots of little rabbits that would love to eat from my new garden!
So, later on in the season, I'll be updating you on my veggie growing progress!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks fantastic! All in a great day's work! Nice job you guys!!

    ReplyDelete