Monday, April 25, 2011

Pineapple-Cucumber Gazpacho

PINEAPPLE-CUCUMBER GAZPACHO
From RAW FOOD REAL WORLD by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis

4 cups chopped peeled cucumber (from 1 large English cucumber or a few Kirbys)
4 cups chopped pineapple (from 1 large or two small pineapples)
1 cup fresh pineapple juice
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 green onion, white and 1 inch of green, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 handful cilantro leaves, plus few extra for garnish
3 tablespoons avocado oil, macadamia oil, or cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil
1 handful finely chopped raw macadamia nuts

In a blender, add 3 cups of cucumber and pineapple, the pineapple juice, jalapeno, green onion, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup of cucumber and 1 cup of pineapple, the handful of cilantro, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil. Pulse blender quickly a few times-the gazpacho should remain chunky. Taste for seasoning. If you have time, chill before serving. Before serving, add the macadamia nuts and stir to distribute them evenly. Place in serving bowls and drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Garnish with cilantro.

 Adding the remaining ingredients. Ready to pulse. 

The macadamia nuts really added a nice touch. This is ungarnished obviously.  I'm an RN and mom, not a professional chef or photographer!!


The first day I made this I wasn't sure how much I liked it. I have never been a fan of the sweet/salty thing and this gazpacho reminds me of just that. I ate a bowl and put the rest in the frig. On day 2 I had a bowl and really enjoyed it much better. Day 3, I loved it! I used fresh pineapple that had been sitting on my counter, so placing the gazpacho in the frig to chill probably helps. It's a refreshing taste so on hot summer days it will be amazing! The only thing I will change is the amount of salt added. I will add just a little less next time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment