Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baby Talk.

 Since green isn't all that pretty, I removed half of the smoothie and then added the green powder to the rest and layered. 
This morning Gabe and I had a mini play date with my friend Laura and her two daughters. Laura and I were discussing our interests and updating each other on what's been going on since we saw each other last, which has only been about a week:)  She was sharing with me all of her new ideas that she posts on her blog, B and B's Nest. It's a wonderful blog about renovating, redecorating, and fun little projects that Laura does in her not-so-spare time! She would love for you stop by and take a look!
Since we have kids, "baby talk" always comes up! We were discussing how to get our children to eat veggies when it isn't their favorite thing to eat. Since smoothies and shakes are so easy and quick, I was telling her how I often put healthy supplements in our smoothies! We are big "superfood" fans around this house. Yes, Eric too!  Here are just a few that I tend to put in smoothies to help amp up the nutritional value: Goji berries, Spirulina, Maca, cacao nibs, Bee pollen. Visit David Wolfe's SUNFOOD website for superfoods. He also has a very informative book, Superfoods, that gives you all you ever wanted to know about the top superfoods. I own it and read through it often. I also keep frozen wheat grass, Chia, and flax oil for smoothies too. My Raw organic green superfood you see below is taken daily by all of us here. It's from Garden of Life. In addition to using these "superfoods" in your smoothies for kids, you can always add a  small handful of spinach, mixed greens, peas, green beans, beets, and the list goes on and on! It's healthier to add the raw veggies in a smoothie instead of cooking all of the good vitamins and minerals out of them. If you have a picky eater, they will most likely consume the healthy part since it's disguised in fruit of your choice! Gabe hasn't turned down one healthy smoothie that I've made yet!

1/3 c frozen banana, 1/3 c frozen mango, 1/4 c frozen or fresh pineapple. Then add the serving amount of your green supplements!

He likes it:)

 Garden of Life has become one of my favorite brands of raw supplements. I came across it one day while browsing through one of the aisles at Whole Foods. They also carry raw enzymes, raw protein, raw kids vitamins, and even raw prenatal vitamins to name a few!

Evergreen WheatGrass is the brand that I buy. Check out their website for more information.

A quick tip for a "frostier" smoothie:  I like to buy organic frozen berries for my smoothies. I freeze my own bananas, mangos, pineapple etc. I add some homemade almond milk and occasionally a touch of orange juice (or fresh squeezed OJ if I want 100% raw) to help thin it out to the perfect consistency!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, it was such a great morning and I'm SUPER appreciative for all the information you gave! I still need to make a trip to Whole Foods to get some super foods for our pantry. We're now making smoothies a couple of times a week (which was more than before) thanks to you! Keep the recipes and info coming our way and thanks for sharing! XO
    Laura
    http://bandbnest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete