Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Portabello Kebabs with Asian Slaw

PORTABELLO KEBABS WITH ASIAN SLAW
(Taken directly from The Raw Chef, Russell James' website) Someday I may come up with something this amazing by myself!


For the kebabs
3 large portabellos
1 small red onion
1 zucchini (courgette)
1 yellow bell pepper
1 cup pineapple
3 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flax oil
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
    - Chop the vegetables into 1” squares. - Blend the pineapple, tamari, ginger, fennel seed, celery seed, olive oil, flax oil and sesame oil, then transfer to a bowl. Add the vegetables the bowl and marinate for a few minutes. - Make small skewers, alternating the vegetables on each wooden skewer to you have a nice colour and texture variation. - Optional: Place in the dehydrator for 2 – 3 hours at 115 degrees F.
For the Asian slaw
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup almond butter
1/2 a head of Napa cabbage, sliced thin
1 medium carrot, ‘ribboned’ with a peeler
1/2 a red bell pepper, julienne fine
1/2 a yellow bell pepper, julienne fine
1 Thai chili, minced fine
2 green onions, finely sliced
Small handful cilantro, minced (Cilantro helps detox and remove heavy metals)
2 tablespoons chiffonade mint
    - Blend first 5 ingredients in a high-speed blender. - Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl. - Serve with warm kebabs straight from the dehydrator.
I did not use sesame oil, and I did not add the chiffonade mint to my cabbage. I'm not that huge of a mint fan! I also julienned my carrots instead of ribboning them. I would also recommend buying small mushrooms instead of slicing large ones. From experience, they stay on the skewers much easier and break less. It turned out great!


I started out slicing the pineapple. I was so happy to find this handy little pineapple slicer sitting outside of my door just waiting to be used! I LOVE it! It made cutting this thing SO much easier. I cut it a  little crooked for my first time, but I'm  in love with it:)

You may noticed that not all of my ingredients will say "non pasteurized", but I want to use the things I have before I buy more.

I marinated the veggies for about 5 minutes and half way through the dehydrating, I reapplied a bit of the sauce. I also kept the left over and dipped my veggies in it while I was eating. 

The recipe says you don't have to dehydrate the veggies, but I wanted to give my dehydrator a job!

Asian slaw sauce ingredients. This sauce was SO  incredibly delicious that I made extra to make sure there was plenty on the slaw:)

To prepare the veggies, I used my food processor for the cabbage and the julienne slicer  for the peppers and carrots. A regular knife took care of the cilantro and green onion.

And the result was: AMAZING! And it's served on my new $2 plates! I love deals!

As delicious as this was, I do have to admit that I didn't eat the raw red onions on the skewers. I just wasn't feeling them! The dehydrator warmed them to the perfect temp!


The Asian slaw was my favorite! I think I really loved the distinct tastes of the vinegar, Tamari, and almond butter. I'm a huge vinegar lover anyway. I just know that my dad would love the slaw too:) I will definitely be making it again! 

2 comments:

  1. Well I am impressed. You should have your own cooking show. Love You - Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was so good! I sure wish I had my dad around to taste test things for me:)

    ReplyDelete