Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mango Shake

This recipe comes from "RAW FOOD REAL WORLD" by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis.

Mangos are full of vitamin A and one of the richest sources of carotenoids, which help ward off colds and reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.* Mangos anyone?

MANGO SHAKE

3 cups diced mango
2 cups coconut water
3 Tbs. agave nectar or 2 packets stevia
2 tsp. vanilla extract
squeeze of lime juice
pinch of sea salt

Puree all ingredients until smooth.

You can buy coconut water to save a little time. I love to buy fresh ones myself.  Water should come out clear. There's an art to opening these bad boys too! Good luck. It took me a while.
 Coconut water is full of electrolytes and great for hydration. A great alternative to sugary electrolyte waters. It can cause diarrhea, but mostly if consumed in excess. It's also great for urinary infections and helps dissolve kidney stones! Oh yeah, and it kills intestinal worms:)
I love this "unprofessional" picture because it reminds me that I have a son:) BTW, he loves coconut water. Sometimes I poke a hole in the top and let him drink straight from the coconut!

Without child items in background! This coconut gave me exactly 2 cups of water. 

The meat should also be white. As you can see, this coconut didn't' have a very thick meat lining. You can always freeze it and use it in other recipes or dry it. 

Just spoon it out.

I learned how to properly cut mangos when I was in Honduras.  Hold mango upright and cut just to the edge of center . This will allow you to miss the seed. 

Turn it and cut down the other side.

I then cut the edges off the seed.

Slice through mango but not all the way through the skin.

Turn it inward and cut the slices off.

I drank mine out of the coconut for fun:) Delicious!

Everything you wanted to know about coconut water right here! I'm a firm believer in prevention of ailments and diseases first, but treating with natural remedies (foods and herbs) is one of my favorite things~

No comments:

Post a Comment