Monday, February 13, 2012

Raw Food Night!

Guess what last Thursday was? Yep, raw food night at a local vegetarian restaurant called, The Green Owl Cafe! This is only offered once a month here in Madison, so I really look forward to it. If you remember, I missed it last month because we had a little snow storm. Such a bummer, but it was worth the wait for last night's menu. It's probably been one of my favorite menu's since I started going. Here's what they served.

Small Plates
Seasonal salad of fresh greens, orange sections, red pepper slices, and creamy avocado dressing topped with pumpkin seeds
Creamy broccoli soup topped with eggplant "bacon"
Cucumber, "cream cheese" and fresh herb tea sandwiches on flax bread
Entree
Mixed vegetable noodles in a creamy orange-jalapeno sauce with fresh cilantro. Served with a side of jicama slaw.
Dessert
Carrot cake with "cream cheese" frosting.


Here's a picture of the plate. It's a bit blurry because I was using my cell camera. 
 Here's a close up.
Main course is at the left, jicama salad is at the top, and the greens are pretty self explanatory!

The eggplant "bacon" really tasted like bacon I thought. Especially mixed with other things. If you can see by the fork, it was also on top of the flax bread.


This carrot cake was surprisingly very good! The "cream cheese" frosting was delicious. It didn't taste like any sort of nut to me, so I'm not sure what was in it. 
 My sister-in-law Emily was my raw food date for the night! It was her second time going with me and this menu was much better. The last time she came was my least favorite menu, so I'm glad it was a good one this time!! I would tell you which item was my favorite, but I liked them all so much that I can't decide. The flatbread and jicama was probably my favorite, but I loved the cilantro in the main dish and the "bacon" on the soup. It was all great!
Do any of you live somewhere that has a raw food restaurant? If so, I'd be curious to hear about it! I may start planning some of my vacations/trips around raw food restaurants! In the meantime, if any of you decide to try The Green Owl Cafe for raw night, I'll probably see you there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment