Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Healthy fall breakfast!

RAW OATMEAL AND ORANGE JUICE
Oatmeal and orange juice is probably one of my favorite breakfast combos! I especially love oatmeal in the fall, because it's just a good hearty breakfast. I have posted this Raw Oatmeal recipe before, but it's worthy of a second posting. It makes me wonder how I could've ever eaten regular ole quaker oats from the canister in my past SAD (standard american diet) life. It spells SAD for a good reason people!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup raw oat groats soaked overnight
1/2 cup raw almonds soaked overnight
2 dates soaked overnight in 1/2 cup of water (place soak water in food processor)
cinnamon to taste
You can add raisins, banana, strawberries, almond milk or any other topping of your choice. I've even added a bit of maple syrup to mine before! Mmmmmmm!

Blend all ingredients in the food processor. You can make it whatever texture suits your fancy. Sometimes I like mine a bit more chunky and other days I like it blended into mush, but that's just me!

Make sure to soak your oat groats and almonds overnight.  By doing this, it helps to remove the enzyme inhibitors so that your body can better utilize the nutrients in them. I typically soak mine together, but separated them for the sake of blogging!
 Rinse both the groats and almonds until the water runs clear. Try to use filtered water so you aren't rinsing chlorine onto your breakfast.
Dates

 Remove the seeds from your dates before adding them to the food processor.
 Since I've been juicing SO much lately, I have been making my own orange juice. Seems silly that it's the one juice I never made. It's the easiest one to make too! Depending on what type of juicer you have, 3-4 oranges should be plenty for one serving. Your body really only needs 8 oz at a time anyway.


 This is definitely a staple at our house. My picky husband will even eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment