Wednesday, November 9, 2011

One step at a time!

I've talked to several people lately and heard some of the same concerns about starting a raw diet. Here are a few things I've heard:

"Where do I start?"
"What do I eat?"
"It feels overwhelming."
"I'm not sure I can give up warm foods."
"How do you have the time?"

So, you get the point, right? I can totally relate. Eight months ago I was asking many of the same questions.  I went from eating an occasional raw item per week to now, eating about 80% of my diet raw. You have to remember to take it one step at a time. I don't suggest just jumping in and attempting to eat 100% of your meals raw. You will just set yourself up for failure.

Start out incorporating just a little at a time. Soups, salads, and smoothies are almost always the easiest to start with. Have a big fresh salad for one of your meals or a bowl of raw soup. Smoothies make great snacks, and don't forget that you don't have to make it complicated. Ever snacked on berries, a piece of fruit, or even carrots and celery? Well, those count as raw!

I occasionally get the urge for something warm, so I just make sure to choose wisely. If you've gone to all of the work to incorporate raw foods, you don't want to completely sabotage yourself.  According to the documentary, "Food Matters," if you just maintain at least 51% of your diet as raw, you will reap the benefits! That being said, you have to choose wisely when not eating raw. Maintaining a vegetarian diet is going to help you feel the best. There's plenty of studies out there that talk about how animal proteins are not digested well in our bodies. (This is a whole separate topic so I won't go there!) So, once you're on your way to a raw diet, pick options that are dairy, gluten, and meat free.

If you're really serious about starting raw, I highly recommend that you save up to purchase a juicer! If not tomorrow, very soon, I'll have a post just about the health benefits of juicing. I can't wait to share it with you!

Once you start to add raw foods into your diet, it will become increasingly easier to add more. The more you eat, the better you start to feel. Really!

Happy Raw Adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment