Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Raw Hot Tortilla Soup

Raw Hot Tortilla Soup

Submitted By: Rhonda Malkmus at Hallelujah Acres

To make this soup (and warm it), just place all of the ingredients in a powerful blender like the Vitamix Turboblend VS variable speed blender (http://ecommerce.hacres.com/VitaMix-TurboBlend-VS-Blender) and leave it running for several minutes. The friction creates heat that warms the soup.
This recipe uses Rhonda’s Simple Vegetable Soup Stock(http://www.hacres.com/recipes/cards/simple-vegetable-soup-stock).

Ingredients

  • 3 cups of Rhonda’s Simple Vegetable Soup Stock
  • 1 Roma tomato
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 celery rib
  • Thin slice of onion
  • 1 garlic clove (peeled)
  • ¼ slice of red bell pepper
  • 1 cup of shredded cabbage
  • 1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • ½ tsp unrefined sea salt or Himalayan salt
  • Pinch of cayenne
  • ¼ cup pitted olives
  • ¼ cup raw or frozen corn

Directions

  1. Place all ingredients (except olives and corn) in blender and begin blending with the “variable” speed at #1 (using a Vitamix Turboblend VS).
  2. Then quickly increase speed to #10 and then switch setting to the “Hi” and run on “Hi” for three to four minutes until steam escapes.
  3. Turn off blender and add olives and corn.
  4. Blend again on “variable” speed setting #5 just until olives and corn are mixed into the hot soup.
  5. Serve in soup bowls topped with broken pieces of tortilla chips.
  6. Add a big salad and some homemade whole grain bread and ENJOY

Vegetable stock.

I placed everything in my blender all at once. 

This is a terrible picture, but it still tasted good!

Now, I'm sure you can see that this soup isn't completely raw, but it has a great combination of veggies. I made this soup, but with a few alterations of my own.  While I did use vegetable stock, I did not warm my soup.  I just used my good ole Cuisinart Food Processor. I also did not consume bread with mine, but I did have some Stacy's Pita Chips on top. They are not raw, but pretty delicious! I definitely think it's worth trying if you're interested. It's a nice "mostly raw recipe" to try if you're just getting started!

Warning: this will make you smell like garlic:)

No comments:

Post a Comment