Monday, April 2, 2012

Zucchini Soup!

 ZUCCHINI SOUP
Recipe by Nomi Shannon
Bowls compliments of my sis-in-law!

This past weekend, we headed to Illinois so my husband could play basketball in a tournament with my brother. I haven't seen the two of them play basketball together since 2002 when they were in their last year of college. They played college basketball together at the University of South Dakota. They were also roommates and that's also how I met Eric! I'm such a lucky woman!


Anyway, we had a fantastic weekend and got to enjoy some raw food together! My parents and my brother and sis-in-law try to incorporate raw foods into their days, so it's always fun to try new things with them when we are together. On Friday night, my sis-in-law had grilled veggies and potatoes, salad, and I made raw zucchini soup. Here's the recipe from the soup. 


Zucchini Soup by Nomi Shannon

1 medium cucumber, cut up 
2 medium zucchinis, cut up 
1 avocado, cut up 
1/4 cup chopped parsley
 1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped scallions
 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped (optional) 
1/2 lemon (peeled and seeded) 
2-4 tablespoons chopped onion, to taste 
1 small garlic clove, chopped
 Nama Shoyu*, or sea salt to taste

This was delicious and I will definitely be making it again! I do not have a high powered blender (ie vitamin, blendtec) so I juiced the cucumber and zucchini instead of putting them into the blender. I didn't think they would blend very well. I also didn't use the 2-4 tbs of chopped onion. I was afraid it would be too overpowering. I'm not a huge raw onion fan to begin with. It turned out great!


And let's not forget of course a night is not complete without an amazing raw dessert. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but you can click here to see what we had. It was a huge hit! Since the ganache tart is made with coconut oil, it's important to mix and pour it very quickly so it doesn't start to solidify. My first attempt at making this didn't turn out very pretty.  Delicious, but just not pretty! So, after several attempts, it's much prettier these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment